What is Breast Reduction?
Women who have large breasts may experience a variety of problems stemming from the weight and size of their breasts, including back, neck and shoulder pain, as well as skin irritation. Breast reduction is a procedure to reduce the weight and volume of the breasts and while making the areola smaller. There are a number of techniques available to perform breast reduction that will influence scar placement. In some cases, liposuction may also be recommended to improve the shape of the breast and remove the roll of fat located in the arm-pit. Together with Dr Farhang Khoee, you will discuss the right surgical options for you.
Who is the Ideal Candidate?
An ideal candidate is a person in good health who feels dissatisfied with their breast size for any one of the following reasons:
- They experience pain in their back, neck, or shoulder owing to large breast weight
- They experience skin irritation beneath their breasts
- Their bra straps cause discomfort on their shoulders
- They find it challenging to perform routine exercise due to oversized breasts
- They have asymmetry of breasts (they appear to be different sizes and/or shape)
- They have sagging breasts or nipples that point downward
- They feel self-conscious or experience low self-esteem due to breast size
What is the Recovery Time?
In general, the recovery time following breast reduction is approximately 4 to 6 weeks. Most people are ready to return to work and light activities just 1 to 2 weeks after surgery, but you will need to avoid strenuous activity for up to 6 weeks. Dr Farhang Khoee will help you through your post-operative recovery period.